martedì, settembre 05, 2023

Review: The Fraud

The Fraud The Fraud by Zadie Smith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Had I not known that Zadie Smith is a contemporary author, I would almost have believed that she was Victorian and contemporary with the writers she describes so well. Clearly, however, I did know and the first thing I thought was that she had completely changed register, because we are light years away from White Teeth for example and just to name one. The story of the writer Ainsworth (a contemporary of Dickens and at the time just as famous) as told by his cousin-in-law, the role of women and recently (at the times) freed black men the decline of a certain aristocracy and the arrival of a bourgeoisie brought about by the Industrial Revolution, are just some of the macro-topics of this novel that flows very quickly-at least for me-also because of a certain sympathy I developed from the beginning for Eliza, the book's narrator.

Se non avessi saputo che Zadie Smith é un'autrice contemporanea, avrei quasi creduto che fosse vittoriana e contemporanea degli scrittori che cosí bene descrive. Chiaramente peró lo sapevo e la prima cosa che ho pensato é che avesse cambiato completamente registro, perché siamo anni luce lontani da Denti Bianchi per esempio e giusto per dirne uno. La storia dello scrittore Ainsworth (contemporaneo di Dickens ed ai tempi altrettanto famoso) raccontata dalla cugina acquisita, il ruolo delle donne e degli uomini di colore recentemente liberati ai tempi, il declino di una certa aristocrazia e l'arrivo di una borghesia portata dalla rivoluzione industriale, sono solo alcuni dei macroargomenti di questo romanzo che scorre molto velocemente - almeno per me - anche per una certa simpatia che ho sviluppato dall'inizio per Eliza, voce narrante del libro.

I received from the Publisher a complimentary digital advanced review copy of the book in exchange for a honest review.

View all my reviews

Nessun commento: