giovedì, settembre 21, 2023

Review: Dragon Palace

Dragon Palace Dragon Palace by Hiromi Kawakami
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

These Kawakami's stories, reminded me massively of Sayaka Murata's and also of her Earthlings. The extensive use of Japanese legends, anthropomorphized animals and the stories often full of disgusting details, but above all this way of writing in the first person that however never gets involved, as if the things that happen to the main protagonist who is also the narrator, happen to someone else. This then is a style that seems to me to be rather transversal in current Japanese authors but I don't particularly like it, because I feel like I'm looking at the whole thing through a dirty window.

Questi racconti della Kawakami, mi hanno ricordato in modo evidente quelli di Sayaka Murata ed anche il suo Terrestri. L'uso massiccio di leggende giapponesi, animali antropomorfizzati e le storie spesso piene di dettagli disgustosi, ma soprattutto questo modo di raccontare in prima persona che peró non si lascia mai coinvolgere, come se le cose che accadono al protagonista principale, che é anche il narratore, succedessero a qualcun altro. Questo poi é uno stile che mi sembra piuttosto trasversale negli autori giapponesi attuali, ma a me non piace particolarmente, perché mi sembra di guardare il tutto da una finestra sporca.

I received from the Publisher a complimentary digital advanced review copy of the book in exchange for a honest review.

View all my reviews

Nessun commento: